o2o

src="https://members.one2onenetwork.com/blogtracker/52c08354a02da3ea782e4875/dmluZXlhcmRjaGF0cy5jb20=/53441e07e89cc826187cef35" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" width="250" height="250">

Let's Chat!

Vineyard Chats is a blog created by the owner of Vineyard Farms and Vineyard Real Estate Group. Here, you will find product reviews for local and international items, and ways to give in your community and across the globe!

Sunday, June 7, 2009

"...But take heart! For I have overcome the world!"

This morning, I awoke early to have a private devotional time. I was feeling down because my 8 year old has had a fever since last Thursday, and I really thought it would have passed by now. That kid must have an immune system that takes a lot of vacations. She catches everything coming and going!


I went to my seat, and opened my computer. I wasn't fully awake enough to plunge into the Bible yet, so first, I checked email and Twitter on my laptop.

In my Twitter updates, there was a blog from a man to whom I am connected. I don't personally know him, but at some point, we connected on Twitter- I have no idea when or why. I clicked on his blog updates, and 5 minutes later, my blood was boiling. There were many political posts on there (any of you who truly know me, know I am NOT a fan of Barack Obama), and most were about as far left as you can get. I've heard it all by now, as most of us have, but I was sitting there with my mouth hanging open.

This man actually wrote a letter to unborn babies, telling them how lucky they all are going to be in life, because Barack Obama was elected President. This disturbed me on a number of levels, the least of which is certainly NOT the fact that, because of Obama, all the young, uninformed, misled, stressed out mothers-to-be, will have an even easier time murdering their "unwanted" babies. I instantly wrote this man a novel in his comments section, with many of my thoughts on his post. Another thing that bothers me is the ideal that man should go through life without "leaving his mark" on nature (Don't misunderstand...I agree that we need to take care of the treasures God has given us!). But then to praise a man who stands firm in his belief that a woman should be able to choose whether or not she allows her own child to live. Do you see double standards here??

After I left my very long comment for him, I just had to "x" out of the blog. I really just couldn't see any more of it. I prayed that God would really speak to me in my devotion to Him this morning, and I opened my Bible randomly. I always think of our Pastor when I do this. He said, "you have to be careful when you ask God to lead you to a part in your Bible that He wants you to focus on- it can be dangerous!" This morning, for me, it was.

I turned straight to John 16:16, where Jesus is preparing his disciples for the day they will no longer be able to dine with Him in person. The verse that jumped out at me was, "I have told you these things so that you may have peace. In this world, you will have trouble. But take heart! For I have overcome the world!" John 16:33

Now, I have read this verse a hundred times. But have you ever noticed that on a different day, a different verse will speak to you in a different way?? That's what happened to me today.

It is so easy for me to think the world is falling apart under our current administration. Every single day, as I read the news on my computer, a few minutes later, I walk away out of depression. I honestly am standing with my mouth open many days, unbelieving of what I am reading- whether it be laws that are passed, comments that are made, terrible incinuations in speeches, or just the gall that comes with all of it.

But after reading my verses this morning, I came to realize one thing. He really DOES have the whole world in His hands! How terrible must it have been for those disciples once they REALLY realized what Jesus was trying to tell them on that day? The SAVIOUR of the entire planet was getting ready to be brutally "murdered" right before their very eyes! GOD!! Our KING!! Jesus Christ, our only hope, was getting ready to be nailed to a slab of wood, tortured, mocked, and KILLED!

I truly cannot imagine what the disciples must have felt that day! They must have known that the world was coming to an end. They must have thought the sun would never have the audacity to shine again-- how could it!? How could life go on after such an event???

But, even knowing what was to come, Jesus assured them, "...But take heart! For I have overcome the world!" Jesus is saying to them, "Don't get down about all the bad things that are going to happen to you- I am WAY bigger than any of it!!"

Now, don't misunderstand me... Is it important to fight for what is right? Of course!! Must we stand firm in the face of evil? Absolutely! Should we "turn the other cheek," even as those in the White House seek to create an abortion "easy street?" No way!!!!

But can someone as small as a President of the United States undo a promise that was given to us a couple thousand years ago by our Lord, the God of all Creation? Ha! Not a chance.

1 comments:

Tiffany Soltis said...

Anna, I so agree...lately, I watch what is happening in this country and around our world and I am aghast. It has gotten to a point where I don't even want our president's name in my mouth to speak of him. It truly sickens me. I can (and often do) get so worked up about it all! I get so discouraged about the total destruction that is taking place. I start to fear what will happen. If I had to guess, I am sure it was very similar to what the disciples felt that night. I realized the other day that the enemy is even using my feelings about these events to divert me away from the One who HAS overcome the world. Not is "going to", but HAS!!! Beautiful, isn't it?! Thanks for sharing your post! Have a great day! Tiffany